Texas residents warned of tap water tainted with brain-eating microbe

  • Communities around Houston are potentially contaminated
  • Naegleria fowleri enters body through nose, travels to brain
Communities around Houston are warned not to use tap water because of potential contamination.
Communities around Houston are warned not to use tap water because of potential contamination. Photograph: Mackenzie Lad/AP

Texas officials have warned residents of some communities near Houston to stop using tap water because it might be tainted with a deadly brain-eating microbe.

The Texas Commission on Environmental Quality warned the Brazosport water Authority late on Friday of the potential contamination of its water supply by Naegleria fowleri.

The commission issued an advisory warning people not to use tap water for any reason except to flush toilets in Lake Jackson, Freeport, Angleton, Brazoria, Richwood, Oyster Creek, Clute and Rosenberg.

Those communities are home to about 120,000 people. Also affected are the Dow Chemical works in Freeport, which has 4,200 employees, and the Clemens and Wayne Scott state prison units, which have 2,345 inmates and 655 employees.

The Brazosport Water Authority’s water source is the Brazos river.

Naegleria fowleri is a microscopic amoeba commonly found in warm freshwater and soil, according to the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. It usually infects people when contaminated water enters the body through the nose, from where it travels to the brain and can cause a rare and debilitating disease called primary amebic meningoencephalitis.

The infection is usually fatal and typically occurs when people go swimming or diving in warm freshwater places such as lakes and rivers. In very rare instances, Naegleria infections may also occur when contaminated water from other sources, such as inadequately chlorinated swimming pool water or heated and contaminated tap water, enters the nose.

The contamination of US treated public water systems by the microbe is rare but not unheard of. According to the CDC, the first deaths from Naegleria fowleri found in tap water from treated US public drinking water systems occurred in southern Louisiana in 2011 and 2013.

The microbe was also found in 2003 in an untreated geothermal well-supplied drinking water system in Arizona, as well as in disinfected public drinking water supplies in Australia in the 1970s and 80s and in 2008 in Pakistan.


Latest News

  • Former France, PSG defender dies four decades after slipping into coma
    Former France, PSG defender dies four decades after slipping into coma The Age By Julian Pretot September,7 2021 Paris: Former France defender...
  • Family of woman killed in cage fight express ‘mismatch’ concerns
    Family of woman killed in cage fight express ‘mismatch’ concerns Winchester inquest hears claims that opponent was bigger and stronger than Saeideh...
  • Shaken baby syndrome on trial: Judges to reexamine homicide conviction
     Shaken baby syndrome on trial: Judges to re-examine homicide conviction  The Age By Chris Vedelago  Republished 5/9/2021  Victoria’s highest court has flagged...
  • Rugby players’ brains affected in single season, study suggests
    Rugby players’ brains affected in single season, study suggests The Guardian Lucy Campbell 1/9/2010  A single season of professional rugby could be...
  • Murder charges laid after boy, 16, dies following alleged bashing
    Murder charges laid after boy, 16, dies following alleged bashing  The Sydney Morning Herald By Carrie Fellner August 7, 2021 — 3.48pm Five teenagers have...
  • Critique of baby shaking prosecutions raises troubling response
    Critique of baby shaking prosecutions raises troubling response The Age Greg Barns Barrister May 25, 2021 The response of Victorian forensic...