Fifty US troops left with brain injuries after Iranian rocket attack

The Sydney Morning Herald

January 29, 2020

Washington: The Pentagon says 50 US service members are now diagnosed with traumatic brain injury after missile strikes by Iran on a base in Iraq this month, 16 more than the military had previously announced.

President Donald Trump and other top officials initially said Iran's January 8th attack had not killed or injured any US service members.

"As of today, 50 US service members have been diagnosed" with traumatic brain injury, Pentagon spokesman Lieutenant Colonel Thomas Campbell said in a statement about injuries in the attack on the Ain Asad air base in western Iraq. Symptoms of concussive injuries include headaches, dizziness, sensitivity to light and nausea.

Thirty-one of the 50 were treated in Iraq and returned to duty, including 15 of those diagnosed most recently, Campbell said.

Eighteen of the total have been sent to Germany for further evaluation and treatment, and one was sent to Kuwait and has since returned to duty, he said.

"This is a snapshot in time and numbers can change," Campbell said. In its previous update on Friday, the Pentagon had put the number of thoseinjured at 34.

Trump last week appeared to play down the injuries, saying he "heard that they had headaches and a couple of other things".

That prompted criticism from a US war veterans' group. William Schmitz, national commander of the Veterans of Foreign Wars, said on Friday the group "expects an apology from the President to our service men and women for his misguided remarks."

According to Pentagon data, about 408,000 service members have been diagnosed with traumatic brain injury since 2000.

Iran fired missiles at the Ain Asad base in retaliation for the US killing of top Revolutionary Guard general Qassem Soleimani in a drone strike at Baghdad airport on January 3.

The missile attacks capped a spiral of violence that had started in late December, and both sides have refrained from further military escalation.

Reuters


Latest News

  • Former France, PSG defender dies four decades after slipping into coma
    Former France, PSG defender dies four decades after slipping into coma The Age By Julian Pretot September,7 2021 Paris: Former France defender...
  • Family of woman killed in cage fight express ‘mismatch’ concerns
    Family of woman killed in cage fight express ‘mismatch’ concerns Winchester inquest hears claims that opponent was bigger and stronger than Saeideh...
  • Shaken baby syndrome on trial: Judges to reexamine homicide conviction
     Shaken baby syndrome on trial: Judges to re-examine homicide conviction  The Age By Chris Vedelago  Republished 5/9/2021  Victoria’s highest court has flagged...
  • Rugby players’ brains affected in single season, study suggests
    Rugby players’ brains affected in single season, study suggests The Guardian Lucy Campbell 1/9/2010  A single season of professional rugby could be...
  • Murder charges laid after boy, 16, dies following alleged bashing
    Murder charges laid after boy, 16, dies following alleged bashing  The Sydney Morning Herald By Carrie Fellner August 7, 2021 — 3.48pm Five teenagers have...
  • Critique of baby shaking prosecutions raises troubling response
    Critique of baby shaking prosecutions raises troubling response The Age Greg Barns Barrister May 25, 2021 The response of Victorian forensic...