The Age

AP, The Sydney Morning Herald

24 April 2019

Dubai, United Arab Emirates: An Emirati woman who was seriously injured in a traffic accident in 1991 had reportedly emerged from a 27-year-long coma, a seemingly miraculous recovery that has grabbed international headlines.

The story of Munira Abdulla first ran in Abu Dhabi's The National newspaper on Monday.

The newspaper said in 1991, Abdulla was with her son when a school bus collided with their car. Her son, cradled by his mother before the crash, escaped with a bruise to the head.

Abdulla was 32 at the time. That same son, himself now 32, was quoted saying his mother regained consciousness in a German hospital last year.

A photo showed her in a wheelchair visiting the Grand Mosque in Abu Dhabi, where she now lives.

"I never gave up on her because I always had a feeling that one day she would wake up," Abdulla's son, Omar Webair, told the newspaper.

"The reason I shared her story is to tell people not to lose hope on their loved ones; don't consider them dead when they are in such a state," he added.

"My mother was sitting with me in the back seat. When she saw the crash coming, she hugged me to protect me from the blow."

Dr Ahmad Ryll, a neurology specialist who treated Abdulla, said she was tube-fed and underwent physiotherapy to prevent her muscles deteriorating.

“Our primary goal was to grant her fragile consciousness the opportunity to develop and prosper within a healthy body, just like a delicate plant which needs good soil to grow,” he said.

Early on, she was transferred to a hospital in London, where she was unresponsive but able to sense pain.

She was then returned to Al Ain, in the UAE, and moved to various medical facilities due to insurance requirements, the newspaper reported.

In 2017, the family was offered a grant by the Crown Prince Court, a government body in Abu Dhabi, for Abdulla to be transferred to Germany.

She underwent surgery to correct deformed muscles and given medication to improve her state. Her son thought he noticed his mother react slightly when he had an argument in the hospital room in Germany one day.

"She was making strange sounds and I kept calling the doctors to examine her, they said everything was normal," Webair told The National.

"Then, three days later, I woke up to the sound of someone calling my name.

"It was her! She was calling my name, I was flying with joy; for years I have dreamt of this moment, and my name was the first word she said."

She can now have some conversations and has returned to Abu Dhabi for further rehabilitation.

© 2019 BIC

Latest News

  • ‘Extremely dark’: Safety concerns raised before jockey’s death on ‘bush track’ 
    ‘Extremely dark’: Safety concerns raised before jockey’s death on ‘bush track’ The Age Adam Cooper November 22, 2021 As the two racehorses cantered that...
  • ‘Extremely dark’: Safety concerns raised before jockey’s death on ‘bush track’ 
     Extremely dark’: Safety concerns raised before jockey’s death on ‘bush track’  The Age By Adam Cooper  November 22, 2021  As the two racehorses...
  • The Unclaimed soldier
    The Unclaimed soldier Thousands of veterans, especially from the Vietnam era, die alone every year The Washington Post Democracy Dies in Darkness By...
  • London cabbies’ brains are being studied for their navigating skills. It could help Alzheimer’s research.
    London cabbies’ brains are being studied for their navigating skills. It could help Alzheimer’s research. The Washington Post By Cathy Free 2/11/2021 London...
  • Former Tiger seeks to lift damages bid with concussion claim
    Former Tiger seeks to lift damages bid with concussion claim The Age By Jon Pierik October 22, 2021 A former Richmond footballer is pushing to...
  • Mother jailed in UK over baby’s injuries blames former partner at appeal
    Mother jailed in UK over baby’s injuries blames former partner at appeal  The Guardian UK Hannah Summers Thu 28 Oct 2021  A woman has told the appeal...